The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is a nonprofit research and grantmaking organization dedicated to advancing evidence-backed ideas and policies that promote strong, stable, and broad-based economic growth. Equitable Growth engages with academics and policymakers to better understand economic inequality in the United States and its impact on economic growth. Important elements of Equitable Growth’s mission include in-house, academic-quality research, and grantmaking to academic economists and other social scientists to support new research on inequality, mobility, growth, and related issues. Building a stronger bridge between academics and the policy community and elevating researchers and their work with the news media are key to our work, with the goal of making new research relevant, accessible, and informative to the policymaking process.
Equitable Growth has an immediate opening for a Communications Associate, who will play a key role in elevating cutting-edge research on economic inequality and economic growth, as well as evidence-based policies that emerge from that research. The ideal candidate will be a communications professional with at least 2 years of experience and a proven track record of engaging with the media and securing results.
- Work with Communications Manager to plan and manage day-to-day Equitable Growth media relations and digital communcations, particularly at the state and local levels, including:
- Story pitching and placement, building relationships with reporters, drafting press releases and related content
- In partnership with other members of the Communications team, responding to media inquiries and facilitating media opportunities on behalf of Equitable Growth’s network of academics and in-house experts
- Monitoring and tracking press coverage of Equitable Growth and related subjects
- Supporting cultivation and maintenance of strategic relationships with reporters, producers, and editors
- Supporting implementation of Equitable Growth’s communications and digital media strategy across traditional and online media platforms
- Work with the Communications team to maintain the content calendar and identify opportunities for researchers and policy staff to take advantage of timely opportunities
- Support the planning and execution of research convenings and public events as part of the Communications team
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop and monitor adherence to metrics and track progress toward quarterly and annual outcomes
- Work with the Communications team to develop and implement a strategic communications plan and to update the plan and associated activities over time
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 2 years of media relations and/or strategic communications experience
- Bachelor’s degree, with major in economics, political science, public policy, journalism, or related discipline preferred
- Knowledge of economics media landscape a plus
- Experience in economics, public policy, or research-driven organization a plus
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to distill complex research for press audience
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is actively committed to promoting and maintaining the importance of diversity to its work. We encourage everyone across the spectrums of race, ethnicity, nationality, ability, age, gender identity and expression, educational background, sexual orientation, and religion to apply.