Reports To: Executive Director and Chief Economist
Staff Reporting To Position: 2
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is a nonprofit, nonpartisan grantmaking and research center dedicated to exploring the relationship between economic inequality and economic growth in the United States. We have an immediate opening for a Research Director who will set the strategic direction of the organization’s grantmaking and academic programming, from visioning to execution. The ideal candidate will have experience serving in a leadership position in an academic research or public policy organization, with proven ability to execute on multiyear strategic research agendas, administer a multimillion dollar grantmaking and research program, and develop and run a complementary set of academic programming.
The Research Director works closely with the executive director, the policy director, and Equitable Growth’s Steering Committee and Research Advisory Board. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated understanding of the academic community, including career pipelines and publication process, and an understanding of the federal policy landscape. The ideal candidate also will have strong management skills to oversee staff in charge of the organization’s grantmaking to our five-year cohort of grantees and their research, and collaborate with other senior staff on all aspects of academic programming.
- Develop multiyear strategy for Equitable Growth’s competitive academic grant program, including the annual Request for Proposals
- Set annual grantmaking goals in collaboration with the executive director, Steering Committee, and senior policy staff, and in consultation with Equitable Growth’s academic network, including its Research Advisory Board
- Manage team that executes Equitable Growth’s grantmaking program
- Develop multiyear strategy, including metrics for success, for Equitable Growth’s nongrant-related academic programming, including the working paper and seminar series, Fellows programs, and conferences
- Grow and nurture relationships with academics and academic institutions conducting research on economic inequality and growth to strengthen our academic network
- Oversee and refine Equitable Growth’s peer-review processes for academic grantmaking and working papers
- Stay abreast of new developments within the economic and broader social science literature
- Help mentor junior staff to create and publish their own work, working alongside the organization’s policy experts
- Help review colleagues’ work prior to publication
- Other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Economics
- Experience serving in a leadership position in an academic research or public policy organization
- Proven ability to conceptualize, develop, and execute multiyear strategic research agendas
- Demonstrated understanding of the academic community, including career pipelines and publication process
- Understanding of the federal policy landscape; understanding of state and local policy landscape a plus
- Ability to travel frequently to represent Equitable Growth at academic-facing public events
- Strong communication skills to effectively develop Equitable Growth’s research priority areas in collaboration with academic stakeholders
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is actively committed to promoting and maintaining the importance of diversity to its work. We encourage everyone across the spectrums of race, ethnicity, nationality, ability, age, gender identity and expression, educational background, sexual orientation, and religion to apply.