Reports To: Chief of Staff
Staff Reporting To Position: 2
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is a research and grantmaking
organization that engages with academics and policymakers to better understand and
address the effects of economic inequality. A core component of Equitable Growth’s mission includes providing grants to academic economists and social scientists to support new research on inequality, mobility, growth, and related issues. The Center has an immediate opening for a Communications Director who will continue to develop and execute on a communications strategy to elevate Equitable Growth’s profile and enhance its credibility with its core audiences.
Communications vision and strategy
• Develop, implement, and evaluate Equitable Growth’s organization-wide communications strategy and annual communications plan in support of the organization’s mission and objectives and in collaboration with stakeholders from across the organization.
• Supervise and manage development and execution of Equitable Growth’s calendar of both public and private events.
• Manage development and growth of Equitable Growth’s brand among key constituencies
• Support Equitable Growth’s staff to recognize communications opportunities and solutions, and articulate and execute on appropriate strategies to support them.
• Oversee day-to-day execution of communications goals and objectives.
• Manage and/or support the development and distribution of print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, reports, and issue briefs.
• Manage long-term working relationships with members of the media and pitch stories, maximize media coverage, and enhance the visibility of Equitable Growth experts and related research.
• Oversee media requests and facilitate media interviews with organizational spokespeople and issue-area experts.
• Draft and place op-eds with key economic policy news outlets.
• Draft and edit press materials, including press releases, advisories and background memos.
• Manage and conduct media preparation for Equitable Growth’s executive director and experts in advance of media interviews and public appearances.
• Manage and oversee relationships and projects related to communications consultants and/or vendors.
• Acts as the on-the-record spokesperson when appropriate.
• Recruit and lead a growing communications team to clearly established deliverables and outcomes.
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach.
Requirements and qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
• Five to seven years of progressive responsibility in communications and/or media.
• Knowledge of federal economic policymaking institutions and processes preferred.
• At least two years in a supervisory capacity.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well on a team.
• Ability to multitask, and to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
• Entrepreneurial; strong problem-solving and creative thinking skills.
• Capacity and proven ability to operate at both the strategic and tactical level.
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is actively committed to promoting and maintaining the importance of diversity to its work. We encourage everyone across the spectrums of race, ethnicity, nationality, ability, age, gender identity and expression, educational background, sexual orientation, and religion to apply.