Reports To: Executive Director and Managing Director
Staff Reporting To Position: 2
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is a nonprofit research and grantmaking organization founded to accelerate cutting-edge analysis into whether and how structural changes in the U.S. economy, particularly related to economic inequality, affect economic growth. We have an immediate opening for an experienced Development Director. The ideal candidate will have significant fundraising experience, and the capacity to lead a multifaceted fundraising strategy and seize new opportunities in a timely manner to support new work while also growing and sustaining our core funders.
The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director, Managing Director, Finance staff, Board of Directors, and senior director team. The Development Director will oversee a development department that currently includes a Grants and Finance Assistant shared with the Finance team, a consultant for development writing, who we plan to replace with an in-house Development Writer/Associate, and a Senior Development Manager, who will be transitioning out of that position after the new Development Director is hired.
- Lead staff responsible for Equitable Growth’s foundation relations, including building on existing relationships, identifying new funding opportunities, and collaborating on strategies for approaching foundation prospects.
- Develop, implement, and manage a multiyear fundraising plan that expands Equitable Growth’s foundation funder base and pipeline of foundation prospects.
- Direct production of written material related to fundraising, including compelling proposal narratives, letters of intent, program descriptions, emails and other correspondence, and website material, working with Equitable Growth’s Development Writer and staff.
- Steward donors and manage grants by maintaining appropriate communications with funders and prospects, proactively updating donors and prospects on activities and successes, extending invitations when necessary, identifying possible partnerships and collaborations, and managing grant-reporting obligations.
- Direct all aspects of fundraising operations at the organization working with development staff, from tracking expenses to fully spending out funder awards.
- As part of orchestrating approaches and follow-up with funders, deploy and support Equitable Growth staff across the senior levels of the organization in the solicitation process or in stewardship activities, including arranging meetings and providing prep material.
- Provide overall guidance and support to the senior staff and board members on their solicitation and stewardship activities.
- Support the Finance and Administration team in tracking foundation revenue (with lead responsibility in tracking foundation funding through the point of award), including monthly and quarterly reports and forecasts.
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent time management and flexibility with job duties.
- Fundraising software and tools expertise.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated success in managing a small team of staff and consultants to achieve results.
- Fundraising experience in a comparable nonprofit is preferred but not required.
- Strong understanding of the academic and policymaking communities is preferred but not required.
- Experience working with both foundation and individual donors is preferred.
The Washington Center for Equitable Growth is actively committed to promoting and maintaining the importance of diversity to its work. We encourage everyone across the spectrums of race, ethnicity, nationality, ability, age, gender identity and expression, educational background, sexual orientation, and religion to apply.